Thought I would bullet point these as they are subtle rules which everyone needs to know....
NO DICE FOR IMPETUS IS GAINED IF THE UNIT:
- IS FIGHTING ENEMY IN CONTACT WITH ITS FLANK OR REAR.
- IS FOOT WHO HAVE MOVED THIS PHASE AND IS FIGHTING FRESH MOUNTED WHO HAVE IMPETUS.
- IS MOUNTED AND IS FIGHTING FRESH FOOT ARMED WITH SPEARS OR PIKES WHO HAVE NOT MOVED THIS PHASE AND HAVE IMPETUS.
- IS FOOT OTHER THAN PIKES AND IS FIGHTING FRESH FOOT ARMED WITH PIKES WHO HAVE IMPETUS.
- IS MOUNTED OR HEAVY FOOT AND IS NOT COMPLETELY IN OPEN TERRAIN.
- IS LIGHT HORSE AND IS FIGHTING NON-SKIRMISHERS FRONTALLY.
- IS MOUNTED OTHER THAN ELEPHANTS AND IS FIGHTING ELEPHANTS.
- IS ELEPHANTS FIGHTING AGAINST SKIRMISHERS.
- IS MISSILE TROOPS THAT HAVE ALREADY SHOT THIS PHASE (EXCLUDES SPARABARA) AND THEN IS INVOLVED IN A CLOSE COMBAT IN THE SAME PHASE.
- IS FOOT ARMED WITH MISSILES, EXCEPT FOR JAVELIN ARMED LIGHT FOOT WHO ARE FIGHTING LIGHT FOOT.
- IS INVOLVED IN A COMBAT WHICH IS THE RESULT OF A PURSUIT.
- MOVED AS PART OF A GROUP THIS PHASE.
- CARRIED OUT A MANOEUVRE THIS PHASE.
- CHARGED THIS PHASE AND IS FIGHTING ACROSS AN OBSTACLE OR STAKES.
There are a few here to familiarize yourselves with but the more we play the more we will remember.
These are probably the most complicated the rules get so well worth the effort to get acquainted.