Sunday 12 August 2018

D Day Landings Normandy Campaign



I have had this idea in my head for a while and Mark and I have had a detailed chat about it.

I would like to re create the Normandy campaign using spearhead at some point and think this would be the ultimate WW2 campaign and think it would certainly raise the level of gaming higher.

There are lots of things to plan and discuss but my initial idea is one based around doing this as a Thursday night set of games. We would use a large map of North West France and use historical forces as they were at the time.

The idea would be for the allies to plan their beach landings with the Axis planning a staunch defence of the beach heads. Naval and air assets would be available to both sides much as the real thing.

Attacks could be made at various locations across the Normandy coast to suit the allied attack plan.

Specific encounters would only happen if both forces happened to meet one another by means of a grand strategic map and movement of forces.

The allies would plan their route through the terrain of Normandy with a final objective to take Caen.

We could fight out the battles on our 4 x 3 boards using whatever terrain features to match the location on the main map.

I think this would work based on the fact we could play out the campaign at our own pace on Thursday evenings.

There is a lot of planning to be done and we would all need to buy into this but my own thoughts are leading to me thinking this could be a fantastic wargaming experience.

We have all the stuff to do this but just need to structure how it should be done, I think with our experience with operational games and previous campaign knowledge this could be done 100%


3 comments:

Ian said...

Sounds very interesting. I look forward to seeing how this develops. One of the operational games I was planning for the Autumn was an Alamein set piece attack in the desert but very much as an introduction to a D-Day operational game. For Normandy we need to build the terrain which would include beaches, ports etc. When would you want to put this on?

Broeders said...

Sounds good Russ.

Russ said...

I would plan it for Spring 2019.. being realistic