Sunday 17 March 2019

Soviet Reinforcements


A few shots of the latest additions to my Soviet WW2 forces.  They will upgrade my 1941 Tank Corp into a 1942 Mech Corp.  With an additional cavalry or infantry division I'll be able to put together an offensive force to simulate the massive offensives around Kharkov in March 1942.  

I actually bought these at Salute back in 2016 after we played our first operational game.  With an imminent return visit next month I thought I had better clear the stash before buying more figures from H&R!

T34's!  I didn't go overboard with these in my 1941 list but I really need them in 1942.

The first of the lend lease M3 halftracks used to equip the recon battalion.  Not as good as the German halftrack infantry as these fire at a range of 6 inches rather than 9" - but with enemy infantry unable to hit them back at over 3" they are still rather handy.

A tracked 203mm howitzer - that garrison on 1C is going to get it!

Corp assets - 152mm howitzers with an 85mm AA in the background.  Stalins organs to the front ready to bombard those suspect woods on 2C.
T28 bridge layer.

I have used a new basing technique with sandpaper which is much faster.  I also adapted my painting technique with a base spray of olive, heavy dry brush of Russian uniform and a lighter dry brush of mid grey - all done in a week which for me is very quick.

I still have a pack of SMG infantry from this original order but I think it's time to get on with some more Iran-Iraq War air assets.

3 comments:

Russ said...

These look very nice Ian. I am interested to know what you do with the sandpaper!

Ian said...

I cut my base out. I cut a piece of sandpaper out to the same measurement and PVA it on. Spray it green. Bastex the sides and any gaps in the texture and generally try and tie the colour in with my other bases. Dry brush yellow (which actually looks light green). Then glue finished model onto base. Very fast and very consistent.

Russ said...

It's funny after all these Years you come up with something new on basing!

So really it just speeds up using the basetex all over and from the pics looks like you are getting a very even and repeatable result each time.

Anything which speeds up basing has to be a good thing :)