Sunday 30 December 2018

D Day Beach Boards - First Attempt!


I have some leftover 5mm foamex pieces that I mainly use to prime minis on but thought to try out an experiment on creating a scaled down D day beach board.




Sand effect is Baccus basing scatter with a mix of sharp sand.




I decided to try out Ian's tissue method with PVA.

After applying a base coat of Vallejo deep sea blue I liberally applied pva to torn of pieces of tissue.


Left to dry I then dry brushed some deep green and white to try to simulate the waves effect at the beach.


This shows a better looking picture

 I have painted on the clear gel here which is not quite dry.


 Job done



Afterthoughts.....

It's a starting point if anything and you have to have a go to build on the concept. I am sure this can be developed into something that will work.

I was just trying to create a visual here so nothing precise! the techniques used are nothing groundbreaking and we have used them before.

Happy that I spent a few hours on this as it's something I will bring along to the Jan Workshop.




3 comments:

Ian said...

That's a very good starting point! I think the liquitex can be reapplied in strips and built up to create waves breaking on the shore which can then be highlighted white - but that will require some experimentation.

Russ said...

That's the feedback I was after. Funny you mentioned that, I was just thinking how to make the waves break. I have enough board left over to go again. Watch this space

mark said...

looking forward to the January workshop