Sunday 6 January 2019

On The Bench - Baccus Napoleonic Hussar's Age Of Eagles

The postman arrived on Saturday morning and since I have been afflicted with a terrible lurgy since Friday what better way to spend the weekend than painting!


I ordered a load of French Napoleonic stuff from Baccus on 10th December mainly consisting of a mix of stuff I needed to get cracking with.


No sooner had the figures arrived I was straight on with checking the order and then deciding what to paint first. As you know I am just about out the woods with my Tennis Elbow problem which has really hampered me with painting so embarking on this small project left me with mixed feelings. I was really hoping that I could pick up a needle file, brush and not have to suffer the pain I have been so used to.


Thankfully all went very well and I am not feeling the effects prepping, painting and basing these very nice figures.



I was speaking to Mark on Saturday about all things including his Star Wars tournament which he was attending today. While I was chatting for about an hour I slapped on the base coat for the horses.


I tried to do as much research on French Hussar uniforms as I could.In the end I found some pretty decent links so used this colour scheme.



Just based and ready for action!



Age of Eagles Cavalry is based on 25mm x 25mm squares in 2 ranks of 3.

The effect is actually rather impressive



I was explaining to Mark how I use a black primer as a pose to using grey or white.

For me this works best for 6mm as you can see the effect on the faces by using a "less is more " approach.



Some say that using black dulls the colours. I don't see any dulling here.

Cavalry where painted first using three Vallejo browns followed by a heavy ink wash.
The unit comprises of 42 horses in total and in between doing other bits and bobs today did not take me very long to get these all painted and based.

I airbrushed a coat of Vallejo gloss and matt varnish to protect the figures and after a bit of experimentation with my basing colours finished these off.





Tomorrow I have a unit of Chassuers 'a cheval to crack on with.



I'll post some photos of these mid week.

2 comments:

Ian said...

You're right they don't look dull! Maybe you are using a brighter palette? Whatever you are doing they look very good. I see Baccus have recruited more staff so you should see deliveries improve.

mark said...

very nice