Friday 25 January 2019

Thursday night game; Iran-Iraq War

Iraqi armour storms an outlying village - before the Chieftain gun line and Cobra bring the Iraqi juggernaut to a halt.


First outing for the Iran-Iraq War last night and I was very pleased with how it played.  I modelled the scenario on what is called a TEWT (Tactical Exercise Without Troops), a pre-battle planning model used in the British Army since WW1.  I think we could play this again and get several different outcomes.

We got to use a good selection of equipment as used in the 1980's conflict in which a fully mechanised Iraqi brigade attempts to secure defended terrain from a pretty basically trained Iranian group of revolutionary troops supported by the highly sophisticated but logistically challenged Iranian regular army - there are not many armies in the world with Chieftains, Scorpions, M109A1s and Shilkas!

I managed to clear up on some new rules and I think I know where I am going with more terrain for an eventual operational game.

We need to firm up on the air attacks but I thought last nights split between ground attack and medium height and the effects of AA was a fair compromise - although next time we play this I may only allow one mission for the Cobra!

3 comments:

Russ said...

Thanks for putting this game on Ian. I never realised you had been working on the project behind the scenes. The table looked great, possibly the best so far in terms of visual appeal.

The rules played out okay but I felt after a few turns the Iranians with their superior equipment tipped the balance just a bit.

The Iraqis never had an answer to the helicopter really and with a very lucky throw of a 5 on my morale we managed to keep that shit battaltion on table all game.

It's all good stuff and the experience sheds new light on the Modern period for me.

Ian said...

Thanks Russ

mark said...

cracking looking table